Area of Specialization: Forestry and Forest Influences, Social Forestry, Agroforestry
Research Interests: Climate change and food security, REDD+, Community participation in natural resources management, use of trees in the improvement of soil fertility, Payment for Environmental
- 26-31 May 2012; Adaptation Futures; 2012 International Conference on Climate Adaptation, Tucson, Arizona, USA
- 23-25 April 2012; Strengthening Africa’s strategic agricultural capacity for impact on development (SASACID) Inception Meeting at Kenyatta University Conference Centre.
- 10-13 April 2012; Beating famines: Sustainable food production through land regeneration in a changing climate, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), Nairobi, Kenya.
- 27th to 29th February 2012; unBRAIN Start up Workshop on Agribusiness Education Workshop, White Sand Hotel, Mombasa, Kenya
- 9th -11th February 2012: Curriculum Development Workshop on Climate Change and Food Security for Inter-University Council for East Africa, Entebbe, Uganda 9th -11th Feb. 2012
- 12th -13th January 2012; Planning for Strengthening African Strategic Agricultural Capacity for Impact on Development (SASACID Nairobi, Kenya
- 28th to 30th November 2011; Mainstreaming African Tertiary Agricultural Education Institutions in the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) Process, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- 11th November 2011; Identification and Assessment of Capacity Building Needs for REDD+ in Kenya, Nairobi, Kenya
- 15th -19th November 2011; Ministerial Conference on Higher Education in Agriculture in Africa Kampala, Uganda
- 20th – 21st September 2011Capacity Needs for REDD+ Implementation in Sub-Sahara Africa Nairobi, Kenya.
- 22nd – 25th February 2009 Regional Workshop on Climate Change: Responses and Mitigations Through Agriculture and Environment in East Africa Kampala, Uganda
- 2nd World Congress of Agroforestry, 23rd -28th August 2009, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 10th – 11th August 2006. The first Kenya Forestry Society Scientific conference held in Nakuru, Kenya.
- Monicah Mucheru-Muna, J.B.,Mugendi D., Pypers P., Mugwe J., Kung'u J.B., Vanlauwe B., and Merckx R. 2014. Enhancing maize productivity and profitability using organic inputs and mineral fertilizer in central Kenya small-holder farms. Experimental Agriculture . (2014). Vol.50 (2), pp.250-269.
Mary Ng’endo1, Delia Catacutan, James Kung’u, Jonathan Muriuki, Judy Kariuki and Jeremias Mowo,2013,The policy environment of conservation agriculture,with trees (CAWT) in Eastern Kenya: African Journal of Agricultural Research,Vol. 8(23), pp.2924-2939, 20 June,2013,DOI: 10.5897/AJAR12.1882,ISSN 1991-637X ©2013
- Kleinschroth F., Schoning C., Kung’u J. B., Kowarik I. and Cierjacks A. 2013. Regeneration of the East African timber tree Ocotea usambarensis in relation to historical logging. Forest Ecology and Management Vol. (291), pp 396-403.
- Oeba V.O, Otor S.C.J, Kung’u J.B and M.N. Muchiri 2012. Modelling determinants of tree planting and retention on farm for improvement of forest cover in central Kenya. International Scholarly Research Network Journal DOI 10, 5402/2012/867249 pp
- Mutegi E.D, Kung’u J.B., Mucheru-Muna, Mugendi D.N. 2012. Consequences of organic-mineral N soil fertility. Journal of Soil Science and Environmental Management Vol. 1(1), pp. 9 – 14.
- Mutegi E.D., Kung’u J.B., Mucheru-Muna, Pieter P and Mugendi D.N. 2012. Complementary effects of organic and mineral fertilizers on maize production in the smallholder farms of Meru South District, Kenya. Agricultural Sciences Vol 3 (2), pp 221-229
- Githiomi J.K., Kung’u J.B. and Mugendi D.N. 2012. Analysis of woodfuel supply and demand balance in Kiambu, Thika and Maragwa districts in central Kenya. Journal of Horticulture and Forestry Vol. 4(6), pp. 103-110.
- Githiomi J.K., Mugendi D. N. and Kung’u J. B. 2012. Analysis of household energy sources and woodfuel utilization technologies in Kiambu, Thika and Maragwa districts of Central Kenya. Journal of Horticulture and Forestry Vol. 4(2), pp. 43-48
- Githiomi J. K., Mugendi D. N.2 and Kung’u J. B. 2012. Household tree planting and its related constraints in meeting woodfuel production in Kiambu, Thika and Maragwa Districts of Central Kenya. Journal of Horticulture and Forestry Vol. 4(7), pp. 120-125.
- K.E. Giller, P. Tittonell, M.C. Rufino, M.T. van Wijk, S. Zingore, P. Mapfumo, S. Aldjei-Nsiah, M. Herrero, R. Chikowo, M. Corbeels, E.C. Rowe, F. Baijukya, A. Mwijage, J. Smith, E. Yeboah, W.J. van Burg, O.M. Sanogo, M. Misiko, N. de Ridder, S. Karanja, C. Kaizzi, J. Kung’u, M. Mwale, D. Nwaga, C. Pacini, B. Vanlauwe . 2011. Communicating complexity: Integrated assessment of trade-offs concerning soil fertility management within African farming systems to support innovation and development. Agricultural Systems. 104 (2011) 191-203
- Muthamia J.M.,Mugendi D.N., Kungu J.B. and Vanlauwe B. 2011. Between and within-farm variability in soil fertility management and status in the central highlands of Kenya. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. A 1. pp. 270-284.
- Nganga, S. K., Kungu, J., Ridder, N. and Herrero,M. 2010. Profit efficiency among Kenyan smallholders milk producers: A case study of Meru-South district,Kenya. African Journal of Agricultural Research Vol. 5(4), pp. 332-337
- Mucheru-Muna MW, Pypers P, Mugendi D, Kung’u J, Mugwe J, Merckx R and Vanlauwe B. 2010. A staggered maize-legume intercrop arrangement robustly increases crop yields and economic returns in the highlands of central Kenya. Field Crops Research 115: 132-139
- Mugwe J, Mucheru-Muna MW, Mugendi DN, Kung’u J, Bationo A, Mairura F. 2009. Adoption potential of selected organic resources for improving soil fertility in the central highlands of Kenya. Agroforestry Systems DOI 10.1007/s10457-009-9217-y
- Mugwe J., Mugendi D., Kung’u J., Mucheru-Muna M. (2009). Maize yields response to application of organic and inorganic inputs under on-station and on-farm experiments in central Kenya. Expl Agric 45: pp. 47-59.
- Kung’u J.B., Wangombe E., Otor C.J. (2008). Community participation in dry land forest conservation: the case of Nuu and Iveti hills in Kenya. African Journal of Environmental Studies and Development Vol. 1.(12), pp. 87-91
- Kung’u J.B., Rodel D.L., Dela-Cruz L.U., Dela-Cruz R. E., Husain T. 2008. Effect of arbuscular mycorrhiza (VAM) fungi inoculation on coppicing ability and drought resistance of Senna spectabilis. Pak, J. Bot., 40(5): 2217-2224.
- Kung’u, J.B, Kihara J., D.N., Jaenicke H. (2008). Effect of small-scale farmers’ tree nursery growing medium on agroforestry tree seedlings’ quality in Mt.Kenya region. Scientific Research and Essay Vol.3 (8), pp. 359-364.
- Mugendi D., Mucheru-Muna M., Mugwe J., Kung’u J. Bationo A. (2008). Best Bet soil fertility technologies for improved food production in the central highlands of Kenya. African Journal of Environmental Studies and Development Vol. 1.(12), pp. 8-15.
- Mucheru M.M, Mugendi D., Mugwe J. Kung’u J. (2008). Maize yields and mineral-N movement as affected by organic and inorganic inputs in a humic nitisols in Meru South district, Kenya. African Journal of Environmental Studies and Development Vol. 1.(12), pp. 99-107.
- Mutegi J., Mugendi D.N., Verchot, L. and Kung’u J.B. (2008). Combining napier grass with leguminous shrubs in contour hedgerows controls soil erosion without competing with crops. Agroforestry Systems DOI 10.1007/s10457-008-9152-3.
- Mucheru-Muna M., Mugendi D.N., Kung’u J.B, Mugwe J. and Bationo A.. (2007) Effects of organic and mineral fertilizer inputs on maize yield and soil chemical properties in maize cropping system in Meru South District, Kenya. Agroforestry Systems 69: 189-197.
- J.Mugwe, D. Mugendi, M. Mucheru and J.Kung’u. (2005). Use of legumes, tithonia and manure to increase crop production under on-farm conditions in the central highlands of Kenya. African crop science l 7: 65-69
- Kimetu J.M., Mugendi D.N., Palm C.A., Mutuo P., Gachengo N., Bationo A, Nandwa S., and Kung’u J.B., (2004): Nitrogen fertilizer equivalencies of organics of differing quality and optimum combination with inorganic source in Central Kenya. Journal of Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 68: 127-2004.
- D.N. Mugendi, M. Kanyi, J.B. Kung’u, W. Wamicha and J.N. Mugwe (2004) The role of agroforestry trees in intercepting leached nitrogen in the agricultural systems of the Central Highlands of Kenya. East African Agricultureal and Forestry journal Vol. 69: 69-79.
- D. Mugendi, M. Mucheru, J. Kung’u, S. Otor, A. Micheni and J. Mugwe. (2003). Soil fertility improvement strategies for increased food production in the central highlands of Kenya. African crop science 5: 897-904