The department of Fashion Design and Marketing programmes of study are designed to train at the undergraduate, masters and PhD levels. The FDM programme offers high quality and dynamic training focusing on fashion design, apparel production, quality control and technical skills to enhance local and international trade in textile products. The programmes are designed to assist individuals to become self-reliant by training them for self-employment and diverse opportunities in the textile and fashion industries. The curriculum also encourages entrepreneurship so that its graduates can contribute to the development of the economy through creation of employment as well as innovate solutions that can be monetized. It is envisaged that the graduates will be marketable not only in the public sector, but also in the private and development sectors like Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO’s), Corporates and creative industries. The objectives of the programmes are to:
- Provide students with knowledge and skills in the area of Fashion Design and Marketing.
- Offer training that serves as a foundation for higher learning in the discipline.
- Train professionals who can effectively meet the job market demands in the fashion design industry.
- Embrace and use digital tools to enhance fashion marketing, styling and fashion.
- Empower students to create and innovate solutions that address emerging issues in fashion and Textiles.
The FDM department aims at producing leaders and change makers in the Fashion and Textiles industry across the region.
Since fashion is dynamic, graduates of these programmes may get employment in many creative related industries. These include:
- Fashion design firms
- Garment manufacturing firms
- Interior design firms
- Research centres
- Garment quality inspection
- Textile marketing
- Creative industry in styling, makeups and photography.
- Film and related industries in costume design
- Digital marketing, e-commerce and merchandising in Fashion related products
- The graduates can establish their own businesses and create employment opportunities for others.
FASHION DESIGN AND MARKETING ACADEMIC STAFFS
On enrolling in our department you will be taught by a qualified and committed team of 13 staff members. These lecturers comprise 1 Professor, 9 PhD holders, and 3 Masters holders on staff development in Kenyatta University and abroad. The department aims to have all the staff attaining doctoral status in the next few years. The staff members have degrees in the following areas of specialisation:
- Fashion Design
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Textile Science
- Community Resource Management
- Fine Art
- Home Economics Education
The staff members are:
- Prof. Keren Gacheri Mburugu
Dr. Onditi Ouma Anam
- Dr. Lydia Nkatha Kinuthia
- Ms.Dorothy M. Riungu
- Ms. Veronica Njonde
Wamuyu M K
Ms. Esther Ondiso Andebe
- Lucy Mugambi
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN FASHION DESIGN AND MARKETING
Mean grade of C+ (Plus) at KCSE or equivalent with at least C+ (Plus) in Art and Design or Home Science or any one science subject.
Mean grade of C (Plain) at KCSE or equivalent with a Diploma of at least credit pass in Fashion
Design or Clothing from a recognized institution.
Mean grade of C- at KCSE and progressed from certificate to Diploma at Kenyatta University or any other recognized/accredited Institutions.
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN FASHION DESIGN AND MARKETING (MSc. FDM)
Eligibility for registration for M.Sc. degree in Fashion Design and Marketing will include the following:
A holder of First class or Upper second class Bachelor of Science in Fashion Design and Marketing or Textile Science and Design or B.Sc. in Textiles, Clothing or Fine Art which has bias in textiles or its equivalent from a recognized university. A holder of First class or Upper second class Bachelor of Education (Home Economics or Home Science). A holder of Lower second class B.Sc. in Fashion Design and Marketing or Textile science and design, Textiles, Clothing or Fine Art which has a bias in textiles or BED (Home Economics or Home Science) or its equivalent from a recognized university.
Last Updated on Monday, 24 February 2020 07:31